What to expect in a CST Appointment?
What is Craniosacral Therapy (CST)?
- Craniosacral Therapy is a massage therapy named for the fluid system that circulates in and around the brain and spinal cord and includes the cranium (cranio) and sacrum (sacral). By listening to the ebb and flow of the fluid, the therapist can “read” the body and is drawn to specific areas of restriction or tightness. It is like a very gentle massage combined with energy healing techniques.
- Heather works with infants, children, adults and elders. People of all ages and conditions. Because it is so gentle, there are very few contraindications for craniosacral.
Is Craniosacral Therapy just for the head and neck?
- No. This is a therapeutic modality that works on ALL areas of the body. Heather will be drawn to work wherever your body is asking to have hands on techniques. This might include specific organs or organ systems or areas like hands and ankles. Often, however there is a lot of tension held in the pelvis, abdomen, chest, throat and neck areas and we usually spend some time in these areas. There are also several techniques that are specific to opening up restrictions inside the mouth and jaw which can help with releasing general body tension, TMJ issues and headaches.
I am receiving other therapies and treatments, will craniosacral interfere with any of them?
- No. Craniosacral therapy is completely complimentary therapy to all other medical and alternative treatment techniques. This includes and is not limited to drug therapy (chemo, etc), surgery, chiropractic care, acupuncture, massage therapy, and reiki energy techniques.
I heard that this therapy is done through the clothes? How does that work?
- Because we use such a light touch and aren’t relying on direct tissue manipulation, we can easily work through clothing. This also helps clients feel comfortable and relaxed on the table.
What do I need to know before my appointment?
- No. If it is your first appointment you will be asked to fill out an information form and sign a waiver, so please come a few minutes early so you can maximize your time on the table.
- We will begin with a short seated discussion of what to expect, how the appointment will work and go over your goals for the session.
- Please wear comfortable clothing as all craniosacral sessions are done with clothes on.
What happens when the table part of the session begins?
- Most clients find it best to lie on their back on the treatment table for the entire session (approx. 60mins). Sometimes though it is more comfortable for you to lie on your side or propped up with pillows and blankets. Whatever works best for you is what works best for the Heather. Your comfort is a key part to every treatment.
What will I feel during the session?
- Heather will help you to feel very safe, relaxed and comfortable during a craniosacral session.
- Heather uses light pressure – about the weight of a nickel and hand placement is usually directly underneath or across from the opposite hand (i.e. front of belly and middle back).
- You may feel any of the following sensations during a session; warmth, softening, tingling, a change of energetic flow, a sensation of spreading or settling heavier into the table or feeling lighter.
- Sometimes there can be muscle spasms or jerkiness in the arms or legs. Sometimes your head or arm might want to move around to find the right release. Sometimes there can be an arching of the back or a drawing in of abdominal muscles.
- It is also possible to have feelings and emotions come up during a session. This is perfectly normal and part of the release process.
- Often we dialogue or speak to/with emotions, images, memories or parts of your body. Sometimes, however, the session is done quietly with very little dialogue. Every session is different.
What will I feel after the session?
- After a craniosacral session with Heather, you will feel one or more of the following;
- increased range of motion
- less pain or pain-free, more comfortable
- stand straighter or taller
- chronic issues lessen or disappear completely
- lighter, less tense, less anxious/worried
- more relaxed and energized
- improved sleep patterns
- more grounded, centred
- increased self-awareness
- more connected to your physical body and its sensations
- more connected to your energetic system
- more connected to your real or spiritual self
- increased sense of inner knowing and self confidence
- more contented, joyful or peaceful, greater sense of ease
- Ultimately you will have a:
- greater ability to TRUST that you are supported
- greater sense of FEELING that support in your physical system
- easier ability to INTEGRATE that feeling throughout your body
- greater sense of possibility through EXPANDED perceptions
- greater ability to CHOOSE healthy resources for yourself
How often do you recommend receiving craniosacral therapy?
- Craniosacral therapy is such a gentle therapy that you could have multiple session in a week. In fact, for some serious conditions, major traumas or chronic issues it is recommended that you have longer sessions or an increased frequency as part of an intensive therapy program.
- For most people it is good to book regular maintenance sessions every 3-6 weeks.
- For infants or small children, Heather often book 2 x 30min sessions instead of 1 x 60min session.
Can I claim the session fee under my massage benefits?
- Yes. Heather is an RMT, so your session fee receipt qualifies for massage therapy benefits.
I have more questions for Heather, how can I reach her?
- Phone or text to: (seven-eight-zero) 972-9447
- Email to: office (at) heatherthomas (dot) ca
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: @H3Connections
- Contact Form